Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Watauga Monster Brown! 1/17/2006

Met up with Doug around 7am in Sevierville. After filling up with gas we headed off for the Watauga. We fished a couple of differnt spots, picking up some good fish almost everywhere we stopped. It had been raining all day so the tribs were pumping a good amount of color into the tailwater. Towards dusk the stream started to look very milky and muddy. After watching some spin fisherman loose a nice brown. We both rigged up streamers and began to work the runs. We both missed some fish almost instantly then it went dead. Working down stream I managed to pick up one small brown. After about an hour Doug fished past me while I was working a deep run. I managed to land a cast at the head of a small eddy on the oppisite side of the stream. I put one upstream mend in the line to get the fly down, then let the line belly out. To my surprise the line stopped. I set the hook and felt somthing very solid. Instantly I felt the thumping of a large fish on the other end. I've caught big fish before but did not think this one was as big as it turned out to be. After a brief fight and some frantic action by Doug I was able to get the Brown into some shallows where Doug was able to grab it. He measured 29.5 inches long and had a girth of 16 inches.

No comments: