Tuesday, January 10, 2006

South Holston River Dec.

Fished the South Holston River for the first time on a Wednesday. I arrived at the weir dam around 10:30am. I picked up a few fish on midge emergers below the weir. Later I went farther down stream and saw my first Sulphur hatch. It was thick but consistent. I was amazed at the size of trout I observed rising to the large mayflies. I was a not prepared for how selective the fish were. I through almost every sulphur fly I had in my box with limited success. After my mediocre showing I collected some bugs and went home to do some tying. I returned on Sunday with a better aresenal of flies. I was able to pick up some fish on the Sulphur flies I had tied the day before. However the hatch was not as good as it had been on the wednesday before. There was a mix of Sulphurs, BWO's and midges. I managed to pick up fish on all three flies. Another fly that seemed to work was partridge and orange soft hackles. Below are a couple of the fish I landed on the second day. South Holston Brown Trout

No comments: