Monday, May 02, 2005

Current River and Montauk SP 4/30/05

Got down to Tan Vat and was geared up by 7am. I fished quickly down stream, casting a black mohair leech. I picked up a couple here and there. I made it down to just above Baptist by 9am and had not seen any bug activity. I was headed up stream and going to go to another access. Along the way I stoped at a nice bluff hole and noticed some small mayflies coming off. I tried to match the hatch a little, but could not. Then I tied on a small soft hackel and caught a fish on the very first cast. I continued catching fish untill noon. I think I ended with about 15 fish to hand and three nice ones over 12 inches. The largest went about 15 inches. I headed back to the car for a quick lunch and then went into Montauk SP to catch some dinner. I started fishing in the park about 2pm and fished till 5pm. I started with the usual scuds and what not, but nothing produced. Then I put the same soft hackel on that I had been using outside the park. Wouldn't you know it but I caught a fish on the first cast. I continued fishing the soft hackel as I made my way down stream. I ended with about 12 fish to hand and a stringer of nice ones for dinner. One great day of fishing. Almost 30 fish to hand and some for dinner. The soft hackel was the fly of the day. The weather was perfect and I didn't see a single other person when I was fishing on the river.

No comments: