Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Meramec River 8/20/2004

Where: Meramec River, below Meramec Springs State Park Fished from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Walked out past the park and into the river just below Meramec Springs Park. It was raining and drizzling all day, and contiuned. I had left my waders at home, which turned out to be a mistake. The air temperature was rather brisk. I ended up wearing swimming trunks and a wading jacket. I had heard that the "white flies" had been coming off the river lately. I didn't expect to hit the hatch because of the weather, but I was hoping the fishes would be enticed by the dries. I didn't catch any fish until the first set of riffles. The Meramec is a much different trout stream than most in Missouri. It has lots of gravel and fallen timber/root wads. It makes for some interesting fishing. Fish always tend to hang around the root wads and fallen timber in the stream. Another great place to catch fish on dries is under one of the many overhanging trees on the river.

No comments: